Sometimes you have trouble flying. The best thing you can do is try to get some compensation from the airline. Here’s how to work with American Airlines.
If you have recently flown on American, or have interacted with an American employee and are not entirely satisfied with the experience, you can file a complaint with the company.
When filing a complaint, you will usually be asked to provide the desired outcome so that the company can rectify the situation. It is also recommended that you make a reasonable request so that the company can deliver. For example, it may not be reasonable to ask for a full refund, but a voucher can be more reasonable. Your requirements will vary based on your unique situation.
Please follow these simple instructions to file a complaint with American Airlines:
Send a complaint by email
- Under Topics, select Customer Relationships.
- Under Subject, select Complaint.
- Under “Reason,” select the option from the drop-down menu that best suits your complaint. If none of the options apply to your situation, select “Other”. Options include:
- American Airlines Vacations
- at the airport
- Baggage delayed/lost/damaged
- Flight delay/cancellation
- Disability-related services
- future travel
- in flight / in flight
- International travel
- Ticket change
On the next page, fill out the form. You will be asked for contact information, ticket number or record locator, your mailing address, flight number, origin and destination city, and travel dates. Please note that for security reasons, you should not include your birthday or credit card information on this form.
You will receive a response to your complaint by email. American said it would respond to customer complaints within 60 days.
Send a complaint by letter
You can send a letter to the American Airlines customer service team at the following address:
American Airlines Customer Relations, Phoenix, Arizona 4000 E. Sky Harbor Blvd.
- Be sure to include your contact information, ticket number or record locator, your mailing address, flight number, origin and destination cities, and travel dates.
- If you have any documentation to support your complaint, be sure to make copies and include the documentation in the letter.
- American Airlines may respond by mail, but if you include your phone number or email address in your letter, they may also respond using those communications. American said it would respond to customer complaints within 60 days.
Complain over the phone
You can contact the American Airlines customer service team on this phone number.
- Make sure you have your ticket number or record locator on hand, flight number, origin and destination cities, and travel dates.
- You should mention any documentation and evidence supporting the complaint.
When you have a problem with American Airlines, it is recommended that you take notes during the encounter. This will allow you to make a more detailed complaint later.
Also, when making a complaint, it is best to write a reasonable, gracious, and well-written complaint. In your complaint, clearly state what you want (refund, airfare) and tell them that if you don’t receive a response, you will file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Transportation and the Better Business Bureau.
If there are documents, make sure to always mention or attach documents, including photos, videos, and documents.