First of all, in order to do performance management really well, as an HR, you need to have excellent relevant expertise. In this regard, I recommend reading a book called “Performance Management Must Read 12”. Although this book can only be purchased on its official website and is more expensive than regular books, it is the best performance management book I have ever read. It can quickly help most companies’ HR to establish a correct and rational understanding of performance management.
Why recommend the book first?
The reason is simple. More than half (or even more) of human resources practitioners are not from a professional class (even if they are from a professional class, they may not really grasp the essence of performance management). Therefore, laying a good professional foundation is the first step.
If there is no professional ability as a support, then “how to do a good job in performance management” is a false proposition.
Below, I would like to express some personal views on how HR does a good job of performance management, some of the reasons for poor performance management, and common problems, and you are welcome to help.
1. There is little support or conflicting behavior in various departments
- At the beginning of the implementation of performance work, it is necessary for the boss of the company to personally take charge and arrange the implementation of performance management. In this process, HR tries its best to advance its work.
- The purpose and original intention of performance management are to continuously improve the performance of individuals, departments, and organizations and ultimately achieve a win-win situation for employees and organizations. Therefore, before HR formulates a performance management system, it must let everyone understand the true purpose of performance management, change it in mind, and accept it psychologically. And formulate the corresponding performance appraisal plan according to the responsibilities and value of each position of the company.
2. Each department regards performance management work as performance appraisal work, as a work task
The occurrence of this situation is mainly based on the failure of the HR department’s basic homework. The step to implement performance management is to strengthen the concept of performance management for all employees, distinguish between performance management and performance appraisal, let all employees understand the true intention of performance management, and let business departments understand what performance management will bring them this kind of help, let the employee know that performance management is to help him improve his personal performance.
3. Performance work is considered to be the work of the human resources department and has nothing to do with other departments
The four main bodies in performance management are the corporate boss or general manager of the company, the head of HR, the line supervisor of the business department, and the employee himself.
Corporate CEO or company general manager:
Promoters and supporters. His support for performance management work directly affects the implementation effect of performance management work, and is mainly responsible for the following tasks: implementation of the mobilization meeting to deliver speeches, create momentum, review performance plans, preside over performance management training, program seminars; to the vice, president level Perform performance communication and performance appraisal, etc.
HR: Organizers and consultants or coaches:
His work affects the performance management process. Its work rules include: propagating the theory, methods, and skills of performance management within the company; formulating performance management systems and tool tables; organizing line managers to communicate with employees; formulating performance goals and improvements Plan and so on.
Line supervisor of business department:
Enforcer and feedback. They are related personnel who directly participate in the process of performance management with a large amount of participation. Their main tasks are: performance communication with employees, formulating employee key performance indicators, performance coaching, recording employee performance, appraisal implementation, result feedback, employee satisfaction surveys, helping employees develop performance improvement plans, etc.
Is the real master of performance management. The employees themselves need to do the following: develop key performance indicators together with the manager; maintain continuous communication with the manager, make continuous efforts, and exceed their own performance goals; with the help of the manager, analyze their performance cycle performance and formulate a Performance improvement plan.
When we clarify the rights and responsibilities of each subject of performance management, perhaps we will focus on this aspect when we are doing the basic homework of performance management.
- When implementing performance management to kick off the conference, explain the division of labor clearly. It is emphasized here that when the company implements the performance management kick-off meeting, all the company’s senior executives will participate. In order to avoid unnecessary disagreements due to the division of labor later, HR needs to communicate with the boss in advance to let him be at this point at the performance kick-off meeting. Emphasize the emphasis.
- In the professional performance management training, constantly instill the idea of performance division of labor.
4. In the process of performance management, negative incentives are greater than positive incentives
Negative incentives are greater than positive incentives, and the direct impact is to cause various departments to resist the performance work, which in turn leads to the fading of employees’ passion for work, the distraction of people’s minds, and the final result is an increase in turnover and a continuous loss of talents.
In the process of performance management, it is not to say that there must be no negative incentives, but that there is a degree of positive and negative incentives, and positive incentives are greater than negative incentives. But positive incentives cannot be too high because positive incentives are just health care or safeguard functions. In other words, it is a necessary but not sufficient factor for promoting performance management.
How to evaluate the degree of positive and negative incentives?
Example of a company:
(1) The total performance salary base is 10680 yuan, the upper limit of the total performance salary is 13,350 yuan, the actual performance salary is 2670 yuan, and the actual performance salary is 1.8%, which is within the controllable range; the lower limit of the total performance salary is 9612 yuan, 1068 yuan less than the overall actual performance benchmark salary, the reduction amount is 0.7%, and there is little fluctuation; the median value of the performance salary is 11481 yuan.
(2) Analysis of incentives and constraints:
- The excess of 1.8% is greater than the deduction of 0.7%, and the incentive/constraint is equal to 257%;
- After the implementation of the performance wage system, the median value of performance wages is 11,481 yuan greater than its performance. The total salary base is 10680 yuan. This shows that the implementation of this assessment plan has an incentive effect greater than a restraint effect, which can promote the work of employees; and the total monthly performance salary upper and lower limits are floating within 4000 yuan, with little fluctuation, and within the controllable range of the total salary.
No matter what method is used to measure the degree of positive and negative incentives, data is needed to measure it. At the same time, data is also a basis for intuitively reflecting performance facts.
5. In the implementation process of performance work, only focus on results and ignore the process
The result has happened in the past and cannot be changed in any way. Therefore, when fulfilling the assessment results, we must fully consider subjective and objective factors, grasp the “degree” of rewards and punishments, and strengthen communication with the assessed. The assessment results are not only salary bonuses. , Reliable basis for job promotion should be the guiding benchmark for employee development. Make full use of this link of performance interviews, from this link, fully communicate with them, affirm their past achievements, analyze their shortcomings, help them formulate improvement and improvement plans, help them formulate performance goals and action plans so that the assessment can really play a role the role of mobilizing employees’ production enthusiasm and promoting enterprise development.